Sunday 11 April 2010

Red Onion New Potato Salad


I know to most people it's not barbeque season quite yet, but living in a country where the sun is rare, it's hard to resist the urge to bbq whenever it does make an appearance.  So while this recipe may be a bit early, please understand that opportunities must be taken when they can!

A friend made this simple potato salad for her house warming party a couple years ago and it was a huge hit.   I much prefer it to the typical potato salads with loads of mayo and/or egg that leave you feeling very heavy.  I made it for a bbq picnic with my partner's family - I was concerned that the raw red onions may be too strong for them, but they loved it and made it themselves when they got home.

This is great for picnics because it can be easily put together at the last minute, so the mayonnaise doesn't spoil.  The potatoes can be cooked days in advance, cooled then kept in the fridge until you need them.  When I made it for the picnic, I boiled the potatoes the night before and let them cool overnight.  Then in the morning I sliced the onions and added them to the potatoes with some pepper.  I packed a small jar of mayonnaise in the cooler bag and stirred it all up right before serving.

Red Onion New Potato Salad
serves 4

1 kg / 2 lbs new potatoes*
1 medium red onion - halved and thinly sliced
1-2 tbsps mayonnaise**
salt & pepper to taste

Boil the new potatoes until tender, drain and let cool.  Mix in sliced red onion and  mayonnaise.  Season to taste. (It's that simple!)

*Or charlotte, or any other small potato.
**A little mayo goes a long way, so add it in bit by bit so it's not too thick.

No comments:

Post a Comment