Thursday 8 April 2010

Wild Rice Stuffed Pepper


In general, I'm not a huge fan of stuffed vegetables - but I find this combination surprisingly satisfying.  The nutty bite of the wild rice grains work well with the sweet pepper and salty halloumi.  Even my meat-loving partner enjoys it (albeit as a side dish to his meat).   It is very easy to prepare and full of flavor.


Wild Rice Stuffed Pepper

1 large pepper (any color)
60g wild rice, long grain rice mix*
1/2 vegetable stock cube made up**
2 slices halloumi cheese
salt & pepper

In a small sauce pan cook wild rice mix with vegetable stock (about 25 mins).  Preheat oven to 180 C/ 350 F.  Meanwhile, lightly grill halloumi cheese slices, then chop finely.  Cut top off the pepper, remove white pithy ribs and seeds from inside.  Line a baking dish with foil then pour about 1/4 '' of boiling water in the foil in the dish.  Mix chopped halloumi with rice, season.  Fill pepper with the mixture.  Put pepper top on, then bake for 30 mins, or until the pepper is tender. 

*The rice I use is an 88% easy cook long grain/12% wild grain rice mix.
**A whole cube I used makes about 500 mL of stock, which is too much for one portion of rice, but this varies by brand.  I generally add a little less liquid than I think will cook the rice, because you can always add more.

2 comments:

  1. what a simple, tasty, colorful recipe! I LOVE the idea of using halloumi here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lot of brown rice to finish... maybe once I get to cooking it right I'll use it in this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete