Thursday 25 March 2010

Baked Soy Beans - Review

I came across these baked soy beans in the store and thought they looked intriguing.  The packet says they are high in fiber and protein and compared with nuts they are much lower in fat - 13g/100g compared with pistachios at 46g/100g. They are covered by a thin papery skin, similar to pistachios, and taste like a cross between a pistachio and a peanut.  They don't have the density or texture of a nut though, and could do with a touch more salt.  Overall, they probably would temporarily fulfill a nut craving and are healthier, but I'd rather have fewer nuts.  (I would be interested to hear if anyone else has tried these, as I hadn't seen anything like them before.)

1 comment:

  1. I have had something similar called "soy nuts." I quite liked the lighter texture, but agree, adequate salt is necessary (the brand I had was salty enough). I can't remember the brand, but I purchase them in the organics section at Kroger (in Ohio).

    http://casaenlacocina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete