Wednesday 17 March 2010

Cottage Pie

I have made this recipe dozens of times and it is one of my mid-week meals that I rely on during chilly fall to brisk spring nights.  It is warm, filling, delicious and satisfying.  This dish is also great because it produces enough for a small family, but as we are only a couple, it provides enough for leftovers to take in for lunch.  I had some chives that I put in with the mashed potato (as in the picture), but normally I don't.  I've also seen different recipes that use lentils and tinned tomatoes instead of a meat substitute which I plan to try soon.
Cottage pie
serves 4

1 large onion - chopped
3 small carrots - diced
2 pints/ 1 litre vegetable gravy (I use granules as I'm not sure how to make vegetable gravy)
1 cup frozen peas
1 bag soy mince (mine was 450g)
4-5 medium potatoes - diced
milk
salt & pepper
1 tsp oil
large handful grated cheddar cheese


Heat oil in large pot then add chopped onions and cook until soft and translucent.  Add in soy mince, chopped carrots and vegetable gravy.  Stir to combine then simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until carrots are tender.  To make the mashed potato topping boil diced potatoes until tender, push through a ricer (or mash with a masher) then gently mix in milk, salt and pepper to taste.  When the soy mince base is done, stir in frozen peas, season to taste, then top with the mashed potato and put under the grill until lightly golden.  Top with cheese and grill until the cheese is melted and bubbly.

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I'm in a similar situation (veggie-lover, mostly cooking at home with a meat-lover), but live in central US. This recipe looks delicious, I'm always on the lookout for veg-friendly shepherd's pie -type dish. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete