Tuesday 16 March 2010

Mushroom en croute


As a vegetarian I often cook one pot meals focused around vegetables, pulses or a grain.  I rarely cook the typical 'non-meat' and two veg that is so common for meat eaters as I find it difficult to make something that isn't meat the center of a meal.  This recipe allows a clear meat-like focus to a meal and is extremely satisfying. 

My partner made himself beef wellington and the 'two veg' were chive tossed new potatoes and grilled asparagus. As you can imagine this meal was very filling, but also delicious.  I think when I make it again I may use less spinach, as when it concentrated down the iron-y flavor was really strong and competed too much with the meaty mushroom.  Other than that it was a perfect vegetarian 'meat and two veg' meal.

Mushroom En Croute  
Serves 1 (generously!)

1 large flat mushroom
large handful baby spinach
2 thick slices cheese (I used swiss gruyere)
dusting of thyme (I used dry as I never buy fresh)
1 sheet ready rolled puff pastry
1 garlic clove - finely chopped
1 beaten egg yolk

Preheat oven to 200 C/ 395 F.  Fry the mushroom in a little olive oil for a few minutes on each side until lightly browned and cooked through.  Then fry the chopped garlic for a minute, add the spinach, season with salt and pepper and cook til wilted.  Strain the spinach well in a sieve (I used my spatula to push it against the sieve and get out as much liquid as I could).  Cut the pastry into a circle about an 1 inch bigger than your mushroom.  Lightly butter a baking tray and place on the pastry disc.  Pile the spinach in the center of the pasty, followed by a slice of cheese, the mushroom (gill side down) and the other piece of cheese.  Use a pastry brush to brush the edges of the pastry with the beaten yolk.  Drape the remaining pastry over the top, push gently to seal the edges, then trim any extra pastry.  Use a fork to fully seal the edges of the pastry together.  Brush the top of the pastry with the remaining egg and sprinkle with thyme then bake in the oven for 40 minutes, or until golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment