Saturday 20 March 2010

Zucchini Bread

This is one of the favorite things my grandmother used to make when I was growing up.  When she made it, I would get one loaf to take home and the other would go to my cousins.  I used to take a small slice to my room - devour it in 4 to 5 bites - then guiltily go back to the kitchen to slice most of it off bit by bit.  My Nana is quite old now and suffering from dementia and it took some time before she was able to write down this recipe (as given verbatim below) for me but now I cherish it - as everytime I make it, it reminds me of my childhood and her.
If you're thinking zucchini used in a somewhat sweet bread sounds weird, try thinking of it like carrot cake - the zucchini adds moisture, but doesn't contribute much (if any) flavor.  Obviously I am used to eating random slices of this at any time of the day due to sheer greediness, but it is perfect in the morning with a cup of coffee (similar to coffee cake) or in the afternoon as a snack with a cup of tea.


Zucchini Bread
Makes 2 9x5 loaves

3 eggs
1 cup oil
2 cups sugar
3 tbsps vanilla

Dry ingredients (sifted)
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda/ bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
3 tsps cinnamon

2 cups grated zucchini/courgette (about 2 small zucchini)
1/2 cup chopped nuts - she always used walnuts (about 75g)

Preheat oven to 170 C/ 325 F.  In a large bowl beat eggs until light and foamy, then add the oil, sugar and vanilla and mix gently.  Next sift in the dry ingredients, then add in zucchini and nuts and mix gently until only just combined.  Divide mixture between two 9x5 pans and bake for one hour.  Let cool - about an hour - then take out of pans and wrap in foil*.

*Again, the idea of wrapping something in foil may seem strange to you, but this is how my Nana did it, thus how I do it, but you could store it in plastic wrap/cling film or a plastic bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment